Please welcome guest writer, Sofia Lee.
How to Take Care of a Blocked Kitchen Sink
Before cleaning up a blocked kitchen sink, you need to bear few things in mind. Checking the disposer before plunging with the concerned is very important. One of the most prominent causes behind clogging of drains is garbage disposer clogging. If the disposer holding sink’s edges do not drain, you have to first plunge it for forcing down or clogging the drain. Before you start treating the whole matter, it is important to understand that you must not throw kitchen or animal wastes into the sink, so that the spout does not get clogged. At the same time, regular cleaning of the sink is also necessary.
Running a Snake Tool
Putting this tested tool through the basket strainer is a good way to clear a blocked kitchen sink. For customizing the snake, you can modify your tool to adjust to the basket’ strainer’s slot. After clipping off the spiral end, you need to bend the rear inches at an approximately 30-degree angle with the help of pliers. The next step is to unwind the opening peak slightly for forming a small hook. You can also use the bent wire hanger to clear the kitchen sink of all the dirt and accumulated grime.
When your sink’s water doesn’t drain or takes a time to drain, you shouldn’t seek the chemical cleaners. Rather, you can go for a bent coat hanger method. However, if the clog is nestled is entrapped or stuck down the drain, you will need a good drain snake.
- For the concerned coat-hanger solution, you’ll need to gauge the location of waste tee beneath the sink. If your drain edifice allows water to back up on the side sans any waste, you can extract the clog from the blocked kitchen sink.
- The waste tee undergoes a turmoil inside which propels a downward spiral of the water. However, since the disturbed spot is narrower than other parts of the drain, objects and food often get trapped there.
- You’ll have to tighten a hook at the wire’s end and implement it for dislodging the clog. You need to have pliers’ for bending it and fitting it through slots.
You can have a peek beneath the sink to get a tentative idea of the distance between the waste tee and basket strainer. You can then push the hanger downwards before pulling and twisting it until you know it has reached the exact spot.
Using Suction and Vacuum Methods to Clean Kitchen Sink in a Proper Manner
The Wet and Dry vacuum is a great way to unblock a blocked kitchen sink. For those having a shop vacuum, you can try this terrific implement to unclog stubborn drains.
- The first step is to set the tool to vacuum liquids. You need to blanket the vent to impede any mess. You have to seal the drain most tightly. You can also put an old plunger front here. By turning the vacuum on its peak setting, you can pull the clog upwards and soak it inside the vacuum bag.
- Caustic soda is another easy method. You need some eye protection and rubber gloves because the mixture can cause serious chemical burns. You need to our three or four gallons of cold water into a sponge bucket and pour three cups of the soda in there.
After it heats up and fizzes, pour the material into the clogged drain. Just leave it for 25-30 minutes before flushing the drain with boiling water. If the methods don’t work, and then you need to clean the concerned P-trap as a last resort to clear blocked kitchen sink.