Home decor painting can be fun if done with proper steps. One should keep in mind several tips while painting the interiors of one’s home. Perfectly done home decor painting can completely transform the interiors of your house.
Here are Some Time-Saving Tips for DIY Home Decor Painting:
- When you take breaks while painting, wrap the rollers in plastic and refrigerate them to avoid cleaning them every time you stop.
- Tie a rubber band across the rim of the paint can along the diameter and after dipping the paintbrush into the paint wipe it on the rubber band instead of the rims to keep the paint can clean and avoid dripping as well.
- Make holes in the rim of the paint can use a nail. This would make the paint drip back into the can after pouring out.
- Use an edger instead of a painter’s tape. This will save you the time you’ll need to tape off the tapes.
- Use a 2-inch angled sash brush for corners. All you have to do is hold it like a pen and draw a steady line.
- Avoid using paint trays and use a five-gallon paint bucket with a roller screen inside instead. You’ll save all the time needed for filling and refilling the bucket.
- An easy way to make color patterns is to find a similar pattern online and project it on your wall and paint accordingly. This will save you all the measurements and calculations.
Every home decor painting project, whether it is DIY or with hired professionals, needs a little pre planning. To do a better job while doing the home decor painting yourself, the most crucial is the pre-preparation. Isn’t it always said that a job well begun is a job half done? That applies for a home decor painting job as well.
- Decide exactly how you want the room to look. Don’t be confused about the texture and the shade. Paint small patches on the wall to get a better idea about the shades and decide on the color shade.
- Measure the dimensions of the room and calculate the amount of paint needed. It is a real trouble when you run out of paint in the middle of your home decor painting project. So keep ample amount of paint in stock before starting the project. It is recommended that you buy a gallon of paint for every 400 square feet of surface to be painted. But rough, textured and unprimed surfaces may require more paint. So keep that in mind as well.
- Clean the walls and ceilings with soap and water and rinse again with water and then let it dry overnight before starting the home decor painting job. This is a must as paint won’t stick well on dirty walls.
- Fill all the holes on the walls using spackle and also sand dry and prime it to make the surface smooth.
- Colour mixers have slight variations from one can to another. This may lead to different shades of color on the same wall. So mix all the paint cans together before starting the painting job to avoid such a discrepancy in shades.
- Instead of covering the floors with plastic for protection against spills and splatter, use cloths or old sheets. The floor tends to become very slippery if you use plastic.
- Keep all the furniture you can’t move covered with dust sheets. Also, keep a bucket of water and a sponge handy to wipe off splashes just in case you drop paint on the furniture.
Keeping all these points in mind and using the easy tips, your home decor painting project will be completed smoothly and satisfactorily and above that, you’d get your personally styled interiors.
Author: Jack Louis