If you’re a homeowner whose house could use an extra bedroom for friends or family to sleep in, you might have initially considered having an additional bedroom built inside your house. However, all the construction work and noise involved in building an extra room is sure to disturb the living situation in your house⎯and you wouldn’t want your family to get mad at you for that. A better solution is available. You don’t need to have an additional bedroom built inside your house if you have a garage that you can brighten up and turn into another bedroom instead.
Why Turn Your Garage into Another Bedroom?
Instead of only parking your vehicle in your garage, you might just be depositing all of your old junk there, which frankly makes it less of a garage and more of an oversized garbage bin. If you’re not using your garage to its fullest potential, it might surprise you to know that you can turn it into just about any habitable space imaginable⎯including a new bedroom. Here are a few reasons why should start turning your garage into another bedroom:
1.Your guests need a place to sleep⎯other than your living room floor or couch.
You never know when you may have guests drop by your house, with some of them even making plans to stay the night.
- While you can let your guests sleep in your living room, doing so on the floor or couch isn’t exactly a comfortable setup for them.
- Your guests might even wake up with their muscles all cramped and sore after having to make do with sleeping on the living room floor or couch.
2.You want to help out someone who’s looking for a place to rent.
Having a house to call your own isn’t much of an option for some people, and looking for a place to live can be extremely difficult due to budget concerns.
- You can have your garage-turned-bedroom rented out at an affordable rate for anyone needing a place to stay.
- Your tenant would no doubt find it interesting to live in a former garage, and you can still have your privacy.
3.You can reuse space that already exists instead of having to place additional weight on your house.
The existing foundation of your house would be affected by the additional weight that comes with having another bedroom constructed.
- Forgetting to strengthen the existing foundation of your house while having an additional bedroom built can cause your house to collapse.
- By turning your garage into another bedroom, there would be no need to worry about the structural integrity of your house.
How Can You Turn Your Garage into Another Bedroom?
The space in your garage (that you’ve been letting all your old junk occupy) can be brightened up and turned into another bedroom by doing the following:
1.Clear your garage of all of the stuff you don’t need anymore.
The default first step to turn your garage into a habitable space is to get rid of all of your old junk.
- You can donate, sell or pawn all of your old junk that can still be used by others.
- If not usable anymore, you should properly dispose of all of your old junk.
2.Insulate your garage.
The key to making your garage comfortable enough for anyone to stay in once it gets transformed into another bedroom is to get it insulated.
- You add insulation to the concrete floor and cover it with comfortable flooring or carpet.
- You should also insulate the walls and ceilings of your garage so that whoever would stay in it once it becomes another bedroom is cozy year-round⎯even when holing up in there during winter.
3.Redesign your garage.
You would want anyone who decides to stay in your new bedroom to see it as less of a garage and more of a bedroom.
- Installing bigger windows in your garage gives it a roomier and livelier feel that most people associate with having a bedroom.
- Consider getting a garage door repair, replacing it with a more modern one, or adding large sliding doors instead.
4.Redecorate your garage.
A bedroom can’t be called as such without any essentials in it.
- Since you’ve just converted your garage into a bedroom, the very first thing you should put there is, of course, a bed.
- Your bright new bedroom should allow for a double size bed to be put there at the very least.
- You can brighten up your former garage by painting its walls with bright, neutral colors and installing a light.
Turning your garage into another bedroom is undoubtedly easier and cheaper than having an additional bedroom built inside your house. All it takes for your garage to become another bedroom is a bit of careful planning and investing in features that would make the place comfortable enough for anyone to stay in there. So, don’t let your garage space go to waste by becoming a new trash can⎯turning it into another bright and beautiful bedroom instead.
Author: Mike Andrews is a building expert who has specialized in garage construction for the past 30 years. He currently writes for My Door Pro and is dedicated to the best possible standard in garage door repairs for Charlotte, NC clients. In his spare time, he enjoys having a coffee at the local cafe.