Winter is a tough time for all creatures, and human beings are not too far behind. We, too feel the chills, especially during the chilling winter nights and early morning. So, you need to devise some plan to ensure better insulation for your home during the winter months.
When you decide to insulate your home, you get to enjoy the winter months in the warmth of your beautiful home.
WHAT WAYS CAN YOU BEAT THE CHILL TO ENJOY A COMFORTABLE WINTER?
Homeowners are always concerned to make their home comfortable during the winter months for their entire family. It might seem like a tough job, but in fact, it is an easy job. Here are some simple ways to insulate your home and protect your family from the cold:
- Eliminate floorboard draughts: Gaps in the floorboard can be a number one reason for a draught entering your home space. This can make the rooms very cold and uncomfortable. Sealing these gaps will help eliminate the chance of cold air entering your living space through the floorboard.
- Draught-proof doors and windows: Draught through the windows and doors is a major concern for homeowners and industrial establishments alike because doors and windows cannot stay shut the whole day long. Even when it is shut, a slight breeze is bound to enter through the sides of doors and windows, so you need to make it draught-proof, as it can make a huge difference. Just ensure that you think about keeping the property properly ventilated as well.
- Insulation of Loft: A Loft is a place that is most times forgotten by homeowners. You will need to ensure that the loft stays insulated because a major portion of heat is lost through the loft, reducing the temperature of the whole property.
- Floor Insulation: Whether you have solid floors or a suspended timber floor with a cellar beneath, you will need to make sure that the floors are insulated. Heat is not lost through the floors, but cold can creep in from the floors, and the property can slowly become cold.
- Deflect Lost Heat: Enhancers behind the radiator can be a smart and innovative way of reflecting the heat back into the room. This will prevent the loss of heat through the walls in a significant way.
- Insulation for Internal & External Walls: If you live in a home with stone walls or slate hung walls, then this process becomes quite essential, as rapid heat loss is not uncommon for such properties. Having the walls treated can help substantially in trapping the heat within the property and keeping it comfortable for the inhabitants.
- Glazing Windows: Many homeowners have been urged to add a secondary or double glaze to the windows of the property. This service can help your homes become insulated from heat loss, especially the period homes. If you find that the single glazed windows have started to rot, replace the single glazed with double glazed windows. Even if the windows are in good condition, you could always get it double glazed.
- Thick Curtains: Did you know that curtains can play a crucial role in stopping heat from leaving the property? Well, if you can hang heavy curtains as they can help keep the cold draughts outside and aid in insulation efforts. You could also add a thermal lining to the curtains to make it much more efficient in keeping the property comfortable during the winter months.
When you think about insulating the property, you need to start thinking about closing all kinds of cracks and opening. Even a sliver of an opening can be bad for your insulation efforts. The major cracks and openings occur on the floorboard, doors, and windows. When you have achieved that, all of the above tips will bear you sweet fruit for your efforts.
Safety Comes First
While you think of insulating the home, you must also give thought to the safety of your family members. Installing grills at windows and doors can be a smart choice. Numerous agencies offer superior quality security grills for doors and windows. Employ their services to enjoy the benefits of a well-insulated home safely and securely.
Author Bio: Martin Whorley is the MD of Attenborough Garage Doors a Derbyshire based business trading for over 20 years. He helps homeowners get the finish to the outside of their homes with stunning garage doors & gates supplied and fitted.