Furniture DIY assembly has become quite popular today. Gone are the days when the only way to successfully put up furniture is to ask professionals to do it for you. Assembling furniture yourself may seem daunting at first, but yes, it is doable. It is a challenge that you can surely accomplish with the right tools and a lot of patience!
Here are some helpful DIY tips for furniture assembly:
Always take measurements.
Before you even make a final decision on what furniture to buy, it is best for you to measure your space first. Doing this will make your assembly process easy and smooth, as you already know that your chosen piece will fit the area. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a piece, waiting for it to finally be delivered in your home, and spending so much time and effort assembling only to find out later on that it doesn’t fit.
Study on the material of your furniture.
Do not start any furniture assembly project without first knowing the material of the furniture. Research on the Internet, go on YouTube or even check the manufacturer’s website. This is done to be sure that the tools that you’ll use will not ruin your furniture. Here are some of the basic materials that furniture is made of:
- Engineered wood and plywood. These types of wood are on the cheaper price range. Because they are not very sturdy, you have to be a little bit more careful with trying to assemble your furniture. Make no room for error as disassembling it can damage the parts and make putting them all back together again difficult.
- Laminates and veneers. These two are the most common types of furniture material available these days. They have a striking resemblance to wood but are made of a fiberboard or plastic material. You have to be cautious not to clean this furniture type with a very wet cloth before assembling the piece, as too much water can damage it.
- Hardwood. This is the most durable and the most expensive of all options. Experts suggest leaving the assembly of hardwood furniture to the furniture maker themselves as the task can be quite tricky for the inexperienced hands.
Purchase basic tools.
There are necessary tools that you have to purchase before you start to assemble a furniture piece. These tools are pretty handy to have as these can be used for easy and quick fixes in your house. Some of these tools include the following:
- Allen key
- Flathead screwdriver
- Philips head screwdriver
- Electric screwdriver
- Rubber mallet
- Measuring tape
Always read the labels.
Before you pick some parts to assemble, always read the manufacturer’s instructions first as to what you should do and how you can best do it. Additionally, don’t ever forget to read the company’s return policy, just in case you make any mistake in the assembly process, there are any missing parts, or there was any damage upon arrival of the furniture piece.
Go ahead and customize!
Sometimes, you buy a piece of furniture because it suits your needs at the moment or it was on sale, but we you’re not entirely confident and happy about its overall look. Because you are assembling it yourself anyway, do not be afraid to customize it according to the look that you desire. Some of the ways you can customize your furniture include the following:
- Repainting the piece to the color of your choice
- Changing the hardware of the cabinets or drawers
- Replacing the feet or legs
Choose a conducive workspace.
It is not advisable to start a DIY project in an area of your home that has heavy traffic, like your hallway or your living room. It is best to do your furniture assembly work in your garden, your shed, your garage, or an empty room. Sometimes, you’re unable to finish your job in one sitting, so if you want to finish it later on, you should be able to leave your work without danger of any parts getting lost or damaged.
It can get exciting to finish your DIY project immediately. However, it is more critical for you to take your time to avoid damaging your furniture or committing mistakes that may require you to redo the whole process. Remember, you’re not a furniture maker or expert. You are just following the instructions that are written for you. Allow ample time for this task so you don’t have to rush it. If you are unsure on what to do or the instructions in the manual are unclear, search for tutorial videos on YouTube or call the manufacturer.
Whatever the reason is for you to have to assemble new furniture, apply these tips and tricks do you don’t get overwhelmed by the task. Have fun while assembling it. Building furniture all by yourself is very satisfying and rewarding!
Edward Flanagan is the founder of Edward’s Enterprises, a handyman service & licensed general contractor that has been improving homes and providing facilities maintenance in Southern California since 1996. Their handyman services include furniture assembly and household repairs. Edward currently divides his time between Camarillo and Venice Beach, CA, and loves the 405.