A few weeks ago I shared with you a garden hack using cardboard. The idea was to cover the area you wish to use for your garden in early spring. Then, spray the cardboard with water so it doesn’t fly away. Finally, add heavy objects to help hold the cardboard in place.
When you’re ready to sow your garden, remove the cardboard to find a decayed sod.
Who likes to remove the sod, anyways? Not me!
I used the middle sections of pallets to hold down the cardboard. They worked fairly well.
I needed a few more because the cardboard did move some. You can really tell by looking at the photo below.
For the most part it worked.
I didn’t keep an eye on the garden like I should’ve. The green patches are the result of the cardboard moving and the weeds sneaking up between the boxes. Darn weeds!
The areas without patches were decayed nicely. I was surprised to see so many fat and happy worms too. That’s a good sign, so I’ve been told.
I used the rake to clear the decayed grass/weeds. Then, I removed the weeds that survived.
I was pleasantly shocked how wonderful the area looked. It really worked!
While clearing the garden I ordered dirt from the local nursery to fill the new flower boxes. If you missed the post you can find it at Reclaimed Wood Flower Boxes.
I needed a lot of dirt to fill the boxes and the newly cleared garden was an excellent place for the delivery man to dump the dirt.
After the dirt arrived we filled the boxes and spread out the remaining dirt. The leftover dirt was just enough to give the garden a fluffy layer to plant this year’s seeds.
No roatiller needed this year. The ground would’ve needed a roatiller or an equivalent tool to make the dirt plantable. But, it was workable dirt ready to plant.
The garden is now planted and ready to go.
I can’t wait to eat the fresh veggies!
I’ll update again soon as the garden grows. Thanks for stopping by and sharing my garden journey.
Stay tuned for next week when I share my latest pallet project. Hope to see you then!
This post was shared with a few amazing parties.