Please welcome guest writer, Ella Andrews.
6 Minimalistic Design Ideas for Small Apartments
A minimalistic home is a home that is free of clutter. This is extremely important in a small apartment because you are already working with a small space. Not only does a lack of clutter make house cleaning easier, it can make your small apartment seem larger, and create a more positive vibe in your home. If you have a lot of clutter already, you may want to invest in a cleaning company that can help you decide what to get rid of and how to organise your space.
- The first place to start for a minimalistic design is with the walls. A nice, neutral colour paint on the walls can make your small apartment appear larger. It will also brighten the room, creating a nice, calm mood. A dark or bright colour or design can make your apartment seem too busy.
- This goes along with number one. you want your walls to be open, the room to appear larger and to be clutter free. When hanging picture and decor on the walls, you want to keep this in mind. If you have a lot of decorations on your walls, the room will not only feel smaller, you will take away from the calm mood you have created, and the entire room will appear cluttered, which is a situation no home cleaning can remedy.
- Your small apartment will not have a lot of empty space. Ditch the large desk and make or buy a smaller one with drawers or cubby spaces. Computers have made it possible for us to need fewer papers, pens, address books, and other items. Your desk should really only need room for your computer and a few other essential items you need for work. There is no need for a large desk anymore, especially as computers become smaller and more compact.
- Nice, clean surfaces in the kitchen can also create a serene calmness and make the kitchen appear larger. The kitchen is a room where the family gathers several times a day and on holidays. When guests come, they tend to gather in the kitchen, and it can easily become a claustrophobic nightmare. Only keep the items you absolutely need on the counter. Keep the counter colours a light, airy, neutral colour such as white or cream. Consider often kitchen cleaning to keep the room sanitised.
- Lighting can play a key factor as well. Create more natural light, if possible. If not, add some recessed lighting, or a small light sconce on the wall.
Bathrooms can be the tiniest room of the apartment with little space to move around. If possible, remove the bathtub and replace it with a shower only. This may not be possible if you do not own the apartment or if you have small children. However, it will create more open space so you do not feel so closed in. Bathroom cleaning is easier then!