Please welcome guest writer, John Miller.
Amazing Ideas To Create Space And Light In A Small Room
Small rooms and small apartments don’t seem like the ideal living space. We don’t grow up dreaming about a small bedroom and a tiny living room that can barely accommodate a TV and a sofa! However, if you happen to be in such a situation, you shouldn’t despair. There are solutions to make even that small room a bit more spacious.
Let’s see what you can do to improve things when the living space is small.
Play with colors
The right combination of colors in the right place can do a lot for a small space. So, you can do several simple tricks that will optically increase the space in the house. Here are the ones easiest to implement:
- Make sure your drapes are in the same color with the wall. This way they will blend in, and the eye will not see the window as a space delimiter.
- Paint the ceiling or put some wallpaper on it. This way the room will seem taller.
- Paint one wall in a bold, powerful color. This will attract the focus on that wall, and the space will be expanded visually.
- Some pieces of furniture should also be in a color close to the one on the walls.
Create the illusion of space
When there is not enough space, we can create an illusion that will fool the eye and brain into thinking there’s more to the room than it actually is. One of the best ways to do so is using transparent furniture or big glass doors that invite the natural light inside. For instance, you can use a glass coffee table or clear chairs.
When it comes to doors, specialists at Hugo Carter recommend models like French or bi-fold doors with glass from top to bottom. French doors are very elegant and add a touch of style and luxury to your place while the bi-fold doors are modern and practical.
Another way to create the illusion of space is to use furniture with tall, exposed legs. Also, speaking of furniture, you should think ahead and buy pieces with multiple functionalities. For instance, an ottoman can be used as both a coffee table and an extra sit when people come over.
Position, position, position
One big secret to getting more space where there isn’t any is how you position things in the room. Here are several tips that designers like to keep for themselves:
- Place a big mirror right across a window. The mirror will reflect the natural light in the house, making the room friendly and welcoming.
- Don’t use overhead lights – these create a focal point and may leave dark corners. Instead, use small lamps to create separate areas.
- Don’t cover your windows or, at least, cover them only partially. For an extra touch of style, you can use roller blinds which are very in trend right now.
- Don’t place the furniture right near the walls; by leaving some space behind or placing the furniture in a different angle, you create the idea of extra space.
- Hang your shelves as closers to the ceiling as possible. This way the eye will be focused upwards instead of analyzing the space around.
In the end, even though a small apartment is not the ideal living space, you only need a bit of creativity to improve your current condition. There are lots of possibilities, and many don’t require that much effort.