Staircase can have a huge impact on the overall design of the home. If you don’t get it right then you would probably end up ruining the entire look and feel of the interiors. Now, an essential component of the staircase that makes them what they are is their design and when it comes to an extraordinary option then one can seldom forget cantilevered stair.
Creating an amazing weightless, floating, and unsupported illusion, these stairs indeed add to the beauty of your décor in no time. Moreover, the best part is that you can customize them according to the theme of your home. Nevertheless, the question arises here is, are the benefits of cantilevered stairs limited to this or is there more to it?
What Makes Cantilevered Stairs So Popular?
There is not just one but several reasons that make these stairs one of a kind and the five popular ones amongst them are:
- Wide Range of Options: There are innumerable materials that go into the making of these stairs. Some of the common ones include stone, metal, timber, glass, and composites. This gives you the opportunity to choose the suitable one that blends with the aura of your home. Moreover, they are even available in an array of shapes, sizes, and colors; ensuring that you find something or the other that meets your requirements.
- Easier Access to Stair: Another major benefit of cantilevered stair is that they come up with easier access to the stair. This is possible because unlike the conventional stairs, these consist of temporary treads that can be installed at the desired place for easy access, while the rest of the construction can be performed simultaneously.
- Compliance with building regulations: Most of the homeowners believe that these stairs won’t be an ideal choice, as they may not satisfy the stipulated building regulations. On the contrary, these stairs comply with building regulations, providing at least one side of the staircase must have handrails.
- Low Expenses Involved: Be it the cost of materials, installation, or maintenance, without a doubt, cantilevered stair is one of the most affordable options you can find. Moreover, as compared to another form of staircases, these are relatively easier to install and can be cleaned in a hassle-free manner.
- Does not affect pre-installed elements: Installation of cantilevered stairs supported on the wall or the floor does not have any impact on the pre-installed heating elements. This means, that you get more space without apparently having to compromise with the quality of under floor heating.
Can the Cantilevered Stairs Be Retrofitted?
Homeowners, usually, prefer to either install these stairs in their newly constructed home or while renovating in the small remodeling project. The reason behind this is: cantilevered stair is extremely easy to install only when they are placed at an early stage of construction, plus combining them into an existing design can disrupt the structural support required for the installation.
But, this does not mean that retrofitting is not possible, provided you have a professional structural engineer for the help. The professional will be able to perform the necessary calculations so that the installation can be completed successfully without any complications.
Remember: structural calculations can be of utmost importance when you are planning to retrofit cantilevered stairs, as they will play an essential role in providing structural integrity to the staircase.
Therefore, when you aspire to give a fresh, elegant, and one of a kind look to your home, then cantilevered stair are just the option that you need. However, do make sure that you hire a professional for the job. So that, you can make the most of these stairs and that too at an affordable value.
Author: Lauren Bracy