Your bedroom is your retreat. It is your base; it is your headquarters; most importantly, it is your personal space that you will spend most of your life with. And if it looks ragged, worn down, and/or too empty, it is up to you to spruce, renovate, and fill it with furniture and love. If you do not have the cash to do so or you just want to work on some elbow grease, here are some do-it-yourself bedroom furniture tips and ideas!
1.Bed Storage: Most of the time, the only thing that goes under your bed is a pile of junk. Whether you like it or not, that messy clutter will just crawl under there. So, instead of tiring yourself out from cleaning it out every weekend, why not just fill it up with your stuff instead? All you need to do is get some plywood and cover other the three sides of your bed. Leave one side open, to allow you to store and retrieve items. Of course, there are fancier ways to do this. Your creativity is the limit.
2. Storage Chest: Medieval royalties always have one in their rooms during the Middle Ages, so what’s stopping you from having one yourself? Just get a crate, paint or varnish it, place some hinges and a door, and you have a nifty storage chest! Not that difficult, eh?
3. Ladder Bookshelf: DIY does not always mean that you should create things from scratch. You can just repurpose things that you are not using anymore. You will save time and money — and you will have something unique as a bonus, too. With this idea, you can just get a normal step ladder. Paint it with a shade that will fit the color scheme of your room, and then dump all the books you have there. Easy!
4. Door Headboard: Is your bed too plain? Spruce it up by adding a headboard! For this idea, all you need to do is get an unused door. Place it horizontally on your bed. Saw off the excess wooden part of the door.
5. Bifold Doors: If you have a two-door closet, it would be a cool idea to convert those doors to folds. All you need to do is to cut doors vertically into halves. After that, put some hinges on them and reconnect them. Voila! Bifold doors in an instant.
6. Modular Wall Cubes: You do not always need to do some woodworking when it comes to DIY or furniture making. With this idea, all you need are some cardboard, hot glue, and colored paper. Make a five-sided cube with the cardboard and glue. Put some design on them using the colored paper you have(of course, you do not have to limit your design with colored paper). Then just stack the finished products that you have. You can use them as storage for trinkets. Or you can use them as bookshelves.
7. Faux Panelling: A regular flat wall can be boring. And most of the time, it lacks the charm you need to fall in love with your room. What you can do is to apply some faux paneling to make your room appear classy and even a bit architecturally baroque or rustic. For this idea, you will need some adhesive, stock trim (or plywood as an alternative), and a bit of time.
8. Custom Lampshade: There are multiple ways that you can customize your lampshades. But when it comes to materials, it is common that you will need these two: fabric and fabric glue. You do not need any specialized lampshade fabric — any piece of cloth can do as long as it looks good! In fact, you can just use white fabric and get some Sharpie markers. Draw on the fabric, and then place it over the lamp. See how beautiful the design is when the lamp’s light is on!
Author: Akshay works as an Interior Designer with Lalco Interiors and he is in love with his job. Thinking up interesting home décor ideas and helping clients implement them is what makes him tick. You can catch up with Akshay and his team and indulge in one of their beautiful home décor pieces for your home at Lalco Interior – Home Decor Stores In Mumbai.