Plantation shutters are timeless, elegant, beautiful and functional. Be it interior plantation shutter or an exterior one these shutters allow light and enough air to enter through windows and at the same time they also bar unnecessary weather adversities. Such shutters are a great way to protect private space without having to compromise on natural air flow of the room. With the help of plantation shutters, you can enjoy complete privacy without turning your room into a stuffy hot mess. Vinyl plantation shutters are popular amongst several modern homeowners because of their low maintenance, chic looks, and low-cost qualities. But before it becomes a determining factor you must keep a few things in mind.
Vinyl versus wood plantation shutters:
- Without any doubts, we can claim that wood shutters are stronger than vinyl ones. Vinyl shutters are suitable for windows that are about 29” in size or smaller than that. In case you are going for decorative shutters vinyl plantation shutters can be the best option.
- The vinyl shutters come in neutral shades that cannot be repainted or retouched. Staining is a big no for such shutters. But the shades of vinyl shutters last really long and do not fade away hence they are perfect for people who want to stick to a definite color pattern for long durations. This will save you the entire repainting cost as well. But wooden ones can be repainted whenever desired. Vinyl ones are more suitable for the contemporary minded people.
- For obvious reasons, vinyl plantation shutters are far cheaper than natural or faux wood plantation shutters. They are also much better than the plastic shutters in terms of durability, look, and elegance. People who fail to afford wood or wish to save money on installing plantation shutters can definitely go for the vinyl ones.
- Vinyl shutters are easy to clean and are unaltered by water contact and hence require little effort for cleaning and maintenance.
Maintaining vinyl plantation shutters:
Maintenance is the key to ensure the longevity of any object and vinyl shutters are no different. Any plantation shutter including the vinyl ones can be opened and shut horizontally. So, the slats can be cleaned regularly without much effort. Regular cleaning keeps dirt and dust accumulation at bay and hence the shutters remain clean, fresh and beautiful. For those who own vacuum cleaners can use the soft bristle attachments to clean the vinyl shutters at regular intervals. It is better to keep them as clean as possible before any tough stain can adhere to them and ruin the beauty of the vinyl plantation shutters forever.
The easy method of cleaning louvered vinyl shutters:
Cleaning of these shutters is simple, easy and not labor or time intensive at all and can be done using things that are available in the home.
- Take a bucket and pour half a gallon of distilled pure water in it and mix a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid in it.
- Damp a soft piece of cloth using the cleaning mixture and clean off your vinyl shutters with the help of this cloth. Rinse the cloth in the bucket whenever necessary. Continue till the entire shutter is clean and dirt free.
- Then take another half a gallon of plain distilled water in a clean bucket and damp another piece of soft cloth into the pure water and wring it thoroughly. Using this damp cloth wipe out all the traces of the cleaning solution from your vinyl plantation shutters. Make sure that no traces are left behind. As vinyl corrodes with minerals and strong chemicals tap water and harsh cleaning agents must be avoided.
Author: Lara Buck