Most people don’t really care much about the electrical wirings behind their home’s walls. Every time you turn on your TV or flip a light switch, you are drawing power from your home’s electrical wiring. This is why you must regularly check your electrical wiring to see if it is too old, damaged, or if some of the wires are loose, because they may cause some big problems later on.
In fact, faulty electrical wiring causes about 45,210 fires each year. Most of these home electrical fires could have been prevented if only people were able to address the common warning signs of faulty electrical wiring.
Here are the common warning signs of a faulty or outdated electrical wiring that you should address immediately to prevent problems later on.
Frayed Electrical Wiring
Your electrical wiring can fray or crack especially if it is already too old.
- Wires may also fray or crack due to corrosion, heat, or bend.
- They are also vulnerable to being nicked, pinched, or pierced by screws or nails.
If your electrical wiring is frayed or damaged, you should call a professional electrical contractor to have it fixed or replaced.
Burnt Outlet or Scorch Marks Due to Excessive Heat
All the electrical outlets and switches should be cool to the touch. But if you see scorch marks or if the outlet was burnt, it is a strong indication that you have faulty electrical wiring which requires immediate attention.
You Often Need to Reset Your Circuit Breakers
Tripping circuit breakers is also a strong indication that there’s something wrong with your home’s electrical system.
- If you often find yourself resetting your circuit breakers, it is a sign that your circuits are overloaded.
- Contact a qualified licensed electrician or a professional electrical contractor to help you assess the load on your circuits and provide solutions for your electrical problem.
You See Electrical Smoke
Smoke coming from outlets, switches, or appliances, is a surefire indication that there’s something wrong with your electrical wiring.
- When you see smoke coming out, turn off all your appliances and check for the problem.
- You can also turn off the main circuit breaker and never turn it on again until the source of smoke is identified, and the electrical problem is fixed.
Lights in Your House Are Dimming
If one or two of your ceiling lights dim when you turn on your appliances, it is a sign of overloaded circuits or faulty electrical wiring. To be safe, check the electrical wiring and the circuit breaker to that section of your home.
Loose Electrical Wiring
Your electrical wiring will eventually become loose over time. The connections between your electrical wiring and outlets can loosen, especially if the wires are already too outdated.
- Check to see if all outlets and switches are in good condition and that the electrical wiring inside them is secured.
- Replace outlets or switches if the electrical wiring inside them has become loose or if the plates are cracked.
Wire Damage Caused by Rodents
Rodents, especially mice and rats, love to chew electrical wiring behind walls. If you see droppings of rodents or notice other signs of rodent activity inside your home, check your electrical wiring behind your walls to see if it was damaged by these home pests.
You Hear Buzzing, Crackling, or Popping Sounds
If you hear noises like a crackling, sizzling, or a buzzing sound coming from your appliances, outlets, or switches, it could mean that you have a serious electrical problem in your hands. Turn off electricity immediately to that section of your home and call a licensed electrician to fix the problem for you.
Your Electrical Outlets Have Stains on Them
If your electrical outlets have stains on them or if they are discolored, it could mean that your home is experiencing surges in power. You should contact a professional electrical contractor or licensed electrician right away to address this problem because it may lead to a fire if left ignored.
There Is a Burning Stench
When you sense an electrical problem in your house, you can also use your nose to sniff for any burning stench coming from your electrical wiring. Before faulty electrical wiring can spark a fire, it usually creates a burning stench.
It is important to remember that electrical fires may smell different because they can catch alight different materials around them. An electrical fire usually has an acrid smell, and it’s a strong indication that a fire has already started.
Your Outlets or Switches Are Causing an Electric Shock
If you get an electrical shock just from plugging your appliances into outlets or flipping switches, it could mean that there’s something wrong with your electrical wiring.
Rely on a Licensed Professional Electrician to Do the Work
Your electrical wiring should always be in perfect condition. It needs to be regularly checked for any problems. If your electrical wiring needs immediate renovation, it’s better to let a professional electrical contractor or a licensed electrician do the work for you. Working with your electrical wiring is not a do-it-yourself project, as it could be very dangerous to you.
What you can do to make sure that your electrical wiring is safe is to look out for your circuit breakers and replace outdated outlets. Outdated electrical wiring must not be ignored as it can cause some serious problems later. If you notice any of the warning signs mentioned above in your home, call a professional St. Louis electrical contractor or a licensed electrician right away to assess and fix your electrical problems.
Author: Joe Simpson is a writer contributing for St. Louis Electrical Contractor | Electrical Contractors STL. As a writer, Joe understands the need to make sure his pieces are both informative and entertaining, and as such strives to add a creative and unique flair to his articles. He likes to do yoga and cook during his free time.