Are you looking to give your old kitchen a beautiful and modern look? There are many ways to transform your old kitchen into something beautiful without having to rip it all out and start from scratch.
Here are a couple of tricks to give your kitchen new life without having to rip it all apart.
Work on Your Old Kitchen Cabinets
The easiest and fastest way to make your old kitchen look beautiful is to work on the kitchen cabinets. Kitchen cabinets are one of the focal points of a kitchen, and as such, you must give them a quality makeover, especially if they are old, to spruce things up in your kitchen.
You don’t really need to get new cabinets. Adding your own simple touch to them is more than enough to make them look elegant. Here’s what you need to do to your old cabinets:
- Give them a new coat of paint. Your old cabinets are still good for use; they just need a new coat of paint to make them seem new and beautiful. It’s important that you choose the right paint for your old cabinets, though. Old kitchens usually seem dreary because they lack color, so what you need to do is to brighten up space by painting your kitchen cabinets light colors such as white, cream, or soft beige.
- Modify them. You can also try modifying your old cabinets by changing how they look. You can change the doors, install new handles, remove the doors completely, add new molding, etc.
Remove the Upper Cabinets
Upper cabinets in the kitchen are a trend of the past. So if you want to give your kitchen a modern look, remove those upper cabinets.
Here are more reasons why you should remove your upper cabinets to make your old kitchen look beautiful.
- Removing the upper cabinets can make your kitchen look bright, and it gives a sense of openness.
- Upper cabinets are usually hard to reach, and we don’t use them often.
- Removing upper cabinets allows you to organize the items in your kitchen better.
- By removing the upper cabinets, you’ll have more space to hang decor, photos, or paintings on the kitchen walls.
If you have upper cabinets in your kitchen, we recommend that you remove them and see how it actually makes your kitchen look more beautiful and organized.
Trade in Old Appliances for Energy Efficient Ones
A beautiful kitchen must also be energy efficient. So it’s better if you replace your old kitchen appliances with new ones that are energy and water efficient.
- When trading in your outdated kitchen appliances, you must look for new appliances that have an Energy Star rating, especially when purchasing dishwashers, refrigerators, stoves, etc.
- Energy Star is a rating system launched by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to help the public in purchasing energy efficient products while saving money and protecting the environment at the same time.
Light up Your Old Kitchen
Another easy way to make your kitchen look elegant is to install new lighting options. A well-thought lighting system can become your kitchen’s best asset. Also, installing new lighting options doesn’t really cost that much.
Here are a couple of lighting options that would be perfect for your old kitchen:
- Under-cabinet lighting. You can install lighting fixtures under your kitchen cabinets. This is perfect for preparing food and cooking. You can also use it as a night lighting for your kitchen.
- Recessed lighting. Recessed lighting provides a good way for you to provide ambiance to your kitchen and make it look even more elegant, especially at night.
Change the Kitchen Countertops
You must not forget the kitchen countertops when turning your old kitchen into something beautiful. Choose from the wide variety of new types of kitchen countertops in St. Louis available on the market right now that could be perfect for your kitchen. You can choose countertops that are made from concrete, wood, stainless steel, recycled glass, or slate, depending on your preferences.
Replace the Old Floor of Your Kitchen
Since kitchens are often the busiest area of a house, it’s only common for floors to look dreary and worn out. When making your old kitchen look beautiful, you must take into account the floors of your kitchen. Replace your old kitchen floors with modern flooring materials to ensure their elegance and longevity.
Here are a couple of flooring options that you might want to consider for your project.
- Natural floors made from wood and stone are a popular choice since they can make your old kitchen look authentic.
- Ceramic tiles are the current trend for kitchen floors. This roofing material can be made to look exactly like its concrete, stone, and wood counterparts. Not to mention these tiles are also more durable and more affordable when compared to other flooring materials. They are also stained resistant, scratch proof, waterproof, and easy to maintain and clean.
Your old kitchen doesn’t need to be ripped apart just to make it look beautiful and modern. With just a little tweak, what was your old, dark and dreary kitchen can be turned into a bright, beautiful and modern kitchen. You will definitely get some good feedback from visitors once they see your kitchen. Use the tips above to turn your old kitchen into something beautiful.
Janice Dixon is a budding interior designer who enjoys working on designing her own home. She loves writing all things interior design related and has written for many websites and interior design businesses. In her spare time, she loves swimming and decorating her countertops in St. Louis home.