Let’s start by giving a definition of pesticides. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the pesticide usage in the United States. According to them, a pesticide is considered every product that contains a mixture of substances, toxic to specific pests.
They come in a variety of forms such as sticks, powders, sprays, liquids, etc. Each repellent has its own purpose and they affect different species.
For example, there are insecticides that target crawling and flying insects. The mosquito spray is a common example for a product that prevents bites.
The rodenticides are used to control and destroy mice. In most cases, they come in a solid form or as a liquid bait. Fungicides are made to fight mold and mildew. For microbes, there’s a variety of disinfectants and sanitizers that prevent them from spreading.
Of course, there are other examples such as the termiticides used to control termites or the herbicides used to destroy weeds.
Are pesticides hazardous?
The pesticides are chemicals that are toxic to some organisms. They are of great value for every household, but their frequent use has risks for the human health.
Using these products in inappropriate quantities can cause great damage to our bodies. That’s why we suggest reading the safety recommendations on every label before applying the product to your home.
Shouldn’t they be safe?
You might be thinking: “I’m buying this from the local store, hence it is safe for use.” Well, the pesticide regulator in the United States – EPA, doesn’t allow manufacturers to make safety claims due to the toxic nature of the product.
From what we know, whether the poison can be lethal or not, depends heavily on the quantities used. So, the dose makes the poison and the adverse effects vary according to the amount of substance the person is exposed to.
Health effects of pesticide exposure
As we have already said above, the effects depend solely on the quantities and the type of poison. Small amounts can contribute to non-threatening issues such as irritation of the skin, nose, eyes and etc.
More severe effects include damage to the kidneys, nervous system and even the brain. Symptoms of being poisoned with a pesticide include dizziness, nausea, and even headache.
The frequent exposure to these chemicals can result in greater damage to the endocrine system, kidneys, liver or the nerves.
Is my family exposed when applied at home?
The professionals from Termite Control in Kansas City reveal that pesticides can accumulate in the air. This can happen due to the heavy use of chemical products in your household.
However, the appropriate levels can elevate from contaminated soil, dust or surfaces within the house that collects pesticides.
According to a recent research released, individuals can be exposed in three ways.
Inhalation exposure: inhaling pesticides
Dermal exposure: Absorbing them through the skin
Oral exposure: Having pesticides in their mouth or digestive tract.
Moreover, a recent report from the American Association of Poison Control Centers, there are more than 92,000 people
How to reduce exposure?
First, you can start by experimenting with non-chemical products, before proceeding with the heavy artillery. When buying a pesticide, it is important to identify the pest and see whether it listed by the brand.
It is of great importance to follow the guidelines on the label strictly. Most labels have specified quantity and time that must be followed to prevent any harm to our health.
After a pesticide use, open all windows and doors to ventilate the area and remove the chemicals. Only then, you can safely reside within your house.