Congratulations, you’ve found your soul mate! Getting engaged is one of the most exciting times of your life, and that joy is shared among family members as well. No doubt your parents, grandparents, and siblings are almost as excited as you are! Deciding to spend eternity with someone is a big decision, and certainly, one to be made carefully. But once you ‘know’ you’ve found the right catch, the next step is to plan your life together.
The first thing you’ll have to plan is your wedding, of course! Whether you choose a lavish traditional wedding or an outdoor wedding on the beach, there are a few professionals you’ll need to hire for your special day.
- Photographer: Do your research and find one that specializes in weddings. Ideally, you want someone who is local. Why? Because they will know all of the best venues and locations for your photos. For instance, if you’re in Dallas, hiring a Dallas wedding photographer will be more beneficial than hiring someone from another area who may not know all the ‘hot spots’ to have photos done.
- Pastor/Priest: Even if you’re not going to get married in a church, a pastor will be able to give you invaluable pre-marriage counseling and can help you and your fiancée talk about things that may come up after you’re married. For instance, money issues, whether you want children (and when you want them), and other crucial decisions you’ll need to make throughout your marriage.
- Music: What is a wedding reception without music? Find a DJ in your area that has experience doing weddings, and make sure he/she knows the particular type of music and songs you want to be played. They’ll need to know what you want to be played for the father/daughter dance, the first dance as a married couple, etc.
- Wedding Planner: If you think you’re going to need help with all of the details, or you’re not the best organizer, a wedding planner can really help. He/she will hire all of the professionals you’ll need for the day and plan things to the last detail. All you have to do is show up!
After the Wedding
Once the big day is over and you’ve settled into married life, it’s time for the real work to begin! Sharing your life with someone takes plenty of patience, love, co-operation, and compromise. There are also decisions that need to be made. The biggest one will be when to start a family. Once you have decided to start a family, there are other professionals you’ll need to hire. Here are just a few:
- Doctor: Getting the best care before, during and after your pregnancy is critical to you and your baby’s health. Your general practitioner can refer you to an OBGYN and a pediatrician for expert and specialized medical care. A good doctor will take the time to prepare you for what’s ahead and answer questions you have along the way.
- Nanny/Daycare provider: Are you going to go back to work after the baby is born? Then you’ll need a nanny or daycare provider. This is one of the toughest decisions you’ll make as a parent because of course, no one is going to measure to you right? You are the best caregiver for your child, but in today’s world, that isn’t always feasible. Take your time making a decision about who you’re going to leave your child with and talk to other parents for recommendations.
No one said parenting is easy, but it is one of the most rewarding jobs on earth. Nothing is more satisfying (and frustrating!) than bringing a tiny human into the world and raising them to become responsible adults.
Together, you and your spouse will make the right decisions and grow together as a family. That is true love and there is nothing in this world like it.