Type of juicer
For citrus fruits – They are intended for obtaining juice from citrus fruits only. Easy to use and relatively inexpensive compared to universal juicers. They are compact and easy to clean. The density of the juice can be adjusted using the holes through which the juice enters the bowl.
Universal (centrifugal) – Designed for many vegetables and fruits, including citrus fruits. Depending on the type of separator are divided into two types:
- With a cylindrical separator – it gives more juice, but there is no automatic waste of cake for it. It quickly becomes clogged and needs to be disassembled and washed by hand;
- With canonical separator – the cake is collected in a separate tank; it is easy to remove. But this model has less performance.
Universal juicers have a complex structure and, accordingly, are much more expensive than citrus juicers. A significant drawback is the duration and complexity of washing. Sometimes this process can last up to 20 minutes.
Of the minuses, a large amount of pulp and foam in the juice can be noted. The juice itself is heated, released in small drops and therefore oxidized due to contact with air, therefore, part of the vitamins are destroyed. Some models give a rather wet cake, which affects their productivity: more moisture in the cake – less juice at the exit.
Although universal juicers are suitable for citrus fruits, pressing them can cause problems if the bones get on the filter and damage it. This also applies to fruits and berries with seeds, for example, the juice from pomegranate berries, gooseberries cannot be done.
Combined – have many additional built-in features. As a standard, these are juicers that combine the functions of the two types listed above. Sometimes they may include features such as slicing vegetables, as well as some functions of a blender, for example, for mixing liquids. Meet quite rarely. Are expensive. It is better to buy two juicers (for citrus and universal) if the means allow and there is a place for their storage.
Screw – consist of a screw shaft and mesh (the principle of operation is similar to a meat grinder). They operate at lower speeds, due to which they are quieter in operation. In fact, the juice is obtained by cold pressing or pressing. It should be noted that in such juice all the beneficial enzymes and vitamins that die when heated are most preserved. The performance of screw juicers is higher than any other, and juice can be obtained from any fruit and vegetables, including root crops, herbs, and berries. Such products are more expensive.
There are single and twin screw juicers. The second is distinguished by a wide range of products from which juice can be obtained. Also, disassemble and wash them longer. But the juice is purer and in larger quantities.
- Combined Juicer
- Universal juicer
- Citrus Juicer
Number of speeds
The number of speeds ranges from 1 to 9. For normal operation, 2-3 speeds are sufficient. Soft vegetables and fruits are best squeezed at low speeds, hard – at higher. It should be borne in mind that at high speed more pulp enters the juice, and at low speed, it remains transparent.
Plastic case – such models are light, inexpensive, have different colors and are easy to clean. The main disadvantage is low strength.
- Stainless steel case – they are characterized by high strength, but such juicers are heavy and expensive.
- Mesh material
- Universal models are best purchased with a stainless mesh (it is more durable).
- A plastic grid is quite suitable for a citrus juice squeezer since the effect on it will be minimal.
As you know, the juice is a perishable product, so the volume of the tank must be selected depending on the amount of consumption of the drink at a time. The best option is 1-2 glasses, that is, approximately 300-600 ml.
The width of the hole ranges from 35 to 90 mm. It should be selected depending on which fruit will be used. The average apple size is about 75 mm. This indicator does not greatly affect the price, so it is better to choose a juicer with a large hole.
Reverse – characteristic for citrus juicers. Thanks to the rotation of the cone nozzle in turn left-right, you can get more juice.
- The clamping mechanism is a special press that makes it easier to get juice from citrus fruits.
- Cleaning brushes – necessary for cleaning universal juicers, which are difficult to wash due to sharp small cells.
- “Drop-stop” – the ability to raise the nose of the juicer in between juice extraction. Leftovers will not drip onto the table.
Here it is worth paying special attention to cleaning the sieves from the waste: when dried, they will solidify and make good juice will be impossible.
- Parts of juicers cannot be washed in dishwashers due to the presence of rubber parts.
- Rinse the juicer immediately after work using brushes.