The benefits of choosing the right mattress are numerous. A good mattress gives you the rest you need so that you have the energy and sharpness to face your day. A good mattress also supports your whole body to minimize the chances of having complications such as back pain. Choosing the right mattress, however, can be quite challenging, as there are so many different types of mattresses on the market. That said, if you follow the next two tips, you will find it much easier to choose the right mattress.
Know-How Much You Weigh
You might know that how much you weigh factors into how long your mattress will last. That said, many people do not know that they need to consider their weight and maybe that of their partner when choosing a mattress. Your weight, that of your partner or that of the person you are getting the mattress for will determine the firmness of the mattress. The way a mattress supports the body as well as how cool it also depends on your weight and body type. So, how do you choose the right mattress?
- If you are less than 150 pounds, you might want to go with one that is at a 5-6 in firmness. A mattress of this firmness will offer the support you need without shrinking or being too firm. If you sleep on your side, you can go as low as a 4 on the firmness.
- Those in the 150-200-pound range can go for a mattress in the 6-7 firmness range. Again, if you are a side sleeper, a softer option might be better for you, say, in the 4-5 range.
- For people over 200 pounds, there are many more pressure points to support. Therefore, they can go for a firmer option to compensate for shrinkage. For heavier people who have a problem with how cold or warm their bed is, they can go for a coil mattress.
Know Different Mattress Types
Choosing between different mattress types is a personal preference. That said, you need to know the different types of mattresses that are available before choosing one.
- Coil or innerspring mattresses – This is a mattress that has springs or coils sandwiched between other materials. The pocket spring king mattress is the most affordable option, but it is not on too many people’s shopping lists because there are better mattresses out there. These mattresses can last decades and because of the spaces between the coils, they are the coolest mattresses of them all.
- Memory Foam – These mattresses provide superior comfort and support the whole body, which is why they are great for a back sleeper. They conform to every contour of your body and that is why they offer such great support. Foam mattresses are preferred by couples because they have motion isolation properties. Memory foam mattresses are the most expensive option, but the comfort and support they offer are worth it.
- Hybrid – These mattresses are a combination of memory foam and coil mattresses. They offer the support of the coils as well as the contouring of memory form for a very comfortable experience. The amount of form between different brands of hybrid mattresses can vary. They are very expensive but can also last decades. They are great for people who want great back support and pressure relief.
- Pillow-top – These are coil or memory foam mattresses with a layer of soft material added to the top to make them more comfortable. They are preferred by those who like a softer feel and more padding.
Choosing a mattress can be hard, but once you know how to choose a mattress, the process becomes easier. Two factors that come into play are your weight and your budget as it determines the type of mattress you get. Regardless, choose a comfortable mattress that offers great support, is durable, and is within your budget range.