If you have recently bought a new house or are thinking of renovating an old one, you should incorporate a central theme throughout the entire house so that all the rooms will sync with each other. One way of styling your home is to go with a minimalist approach with Scandinavian furniture.
What is Scandinavian Style?
The Scandinavian interior design movement started around the early 20th century but gained popularity during the 1950s in the Nordic countries of Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, and Norway. The main goal of the Scandinavian style is to create a simple, minimalist, yet functional home interior using natural and organic materials such as wood, leather, and hemp.
Why is Scandinavian Style Popular?
The popularity of using Scandinavian furniture in homes grew when homeowners saw the advantages of incorporating Scandinavian pieces in their homes. Homeowners noticed the focus on craftsmanship that went with the creation of each piece of Scandinavian furniture that they can find as well as being amazed at the clean lines and quality of materials of the furniture.
What are the Benefits of Scandinavian Style Interior Design?
When you opt for a Scandinavian design for your home, you are investing in a home that is focused more on function while remaining classy and elegant. Here are some of the benefits that you will get with a Scandinavian-styled home.
- Your home will look clean and modern. The minimalistic approach to the designing of Scandinavian furniture gives each piece clean lines with a modern feel. The craftsmanship that went into the furniture design focused on creating pieces that are practical and look effortlessly beautiful. The clean lines of the furniture also make the entire ensemble of pieces uncluttered, fresh, and relaxing.
- Your home will look spacious. The clean lines of the Scandinavian design will make any room appear larger. When you choose to design your home in the Scandinavian way, you will only need a few furniture items that are functional and yet take up minimal space in the room. When you choose a lighter colour palette for your wall paint, then you can make your rooms appear even more extensive and brighter.
- Your renovation budget will not take a big hit. The main principle of Scandinavian style furniture is to create pieces that focus on function and practicality rather than aesthetics. As a homeowner, you will find that incorporating Scandinavian furniture into your home will not take a big hit on your renovation budget. The Scandinavian design movement purposely designed furniture that can be affordable and available to people in all walks of life.
- You can easily combine furniture with existing palettes. Most, if not all, Scandinavian furniture comes in neutral colours. Since they have a neutral palette, you can add Scandinavian pieces to rooms with an existing colour palette and the placement will still work. Scandinavian furniture does not draw attention away from any current designs. However, if you want your home to look brighter and cleaner, you should centre your wall’s palette to match the Scandinavian pieces that you already have.
- Your home will look more organized. Scandinavian furniture takes into consideration the need for homeowners to be organized and have enough storage space. Your home will look less cluttered since the Scandinavian interior design focuses more on hiding pieces of stuff within the storage spaces rather than having them all out on display.
Scandinavian furniture and interior design will look great if you want your home to feel less cluttered, clean, and spacious. If you live in warm weather climates such as Australia, your home will benefit a lot with Scandinavian interior design.