If you are an Australian, you must have heard about the BASIX (The Building Sustainability Index) certificate which is mandatory to obtain from the authorities for all builders and contractors who want to build residential buildings. It is considered as one of the strongest and comprehensive sustainable planning measures are undertaken by the Australian authorities.
In NSW, BASIX Report for water and energy usage and thermal comfort performance apply to:
- All new residential dwellings
- Home improvements and additions to dwellings that cost $50,000 or more.
- Swimming pool addition to the dwelling with a capacity of 40,000 liters or more.
If you are a first-timer to get the BASIX certificate, you might not have any idea about what it is, how to obtain it, and about payments. In this post, we will discuss some of the questions related to refunds and payments associated with the BASIX certificate.
Now, let’s discuss some of the questions related to BASIX Certificate fees and refunds:
What is the fee to obtain a BASIX certificate?
It depends on the type of development you are planning to make. It is explained in details below:
- If it is a single dwelling, the cost is $50
- If it is a multi-dwelling, the fee is $80 for the first two dwellings and then $35 for each additional dwelling.
- For a residential flat building, the fee depends on the number of units.
- For alterations and additions to the dwelling, the fee is $25 for each welling.
How do I pay for a BASIX Certificate?
You can pay the fee for a BASIX certificate in many ways:
- You can use the credit card (MasterCard and Visa) through a secure online payment portal which is accessed through the BASIX assessment tool.
- You can write a cheque to the Department.
- You can also pay in cash directly to the Department’s Information Centre.
- You need to wait for the processing time required for applications.
How do I pay for my BASIX certificate using a credit card?
When it comes to credit cards, only MasterCard or Visa cards are accepted.
The steps are explained below:
- Once you have constructed your project, you need to click on the “Request a Certificate” button and select the Credit Card payment mode.
- Confirm yourself as Payee and select “continue”
- Now, enter your credit card details and select “Continue”
You will receive a verification code. Enter the code in a box and select “Make Payment”
Can I pay the fee by cheque or cash?
If you don’t want to pay by credit card, you have other options as well. You can pay for the fees using cheque or cash. However, the processing time is longer when you pay through cheque or cash modes. You don’t need to send cash by post. You need to pay in person to the Department of Planning’s Information Centre. When you want to pay using cheque or cash, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the “Request a Certificate” button once your project is completed.
- Now, you need to select the “Cash & Cheque” payment mode.
- Now, confirm yourself as Payee and select ‘Continue’.
- The “BASIX Certificate Request– Cash & cheque payments” PDF file will open in another tab which consists of all the details related to pay using cheque or cash modes along with the instructions to make payment. You need to print the document.
Is there a fee to revise an issued Certificate?
When you want to revise an issued BASIX certificate for the same property, there are no revised fees for it. Ensure that the project is recorded on the original certificate.
How can I get a refund for a BASIX Certificate?
The Department of Planning may or may not provide a refund. In some circumstances, you may get lucky. It is a legal document and the fees charged for the same are for services delivered to you. Just because a user has changed his mind, he is not entitled to receive a refund.
If you apply for a refund, you need to write to the official mail ID of the Department of Planning, citing your reasons for the same. You will receive an appropriate reply. Remember that any refunds, if provided, may have an administration charge.
The BASIX Certificate is the mandatory certificate when you are building a residential dwelling or you want to make alterations or additions. The process to obtain a BASIX Certificate is simple and quick and you can have it in a week or so. All you need to do is to read guidelines and instructions on the Department of Planning’s website and you are ready to go.