Predators are the bane of every fish owner’s existence. They cause losses, scare fish, and prevent them from feeding well.
Raccoons are interesting fish predators. They enjoy fishing for themselves in ponds and live more in urban areas now than in forests and bushes. Fish are tasty treats for raccoons, and if given an opportunity, your fish can be a steady food source for the raccoons. Sadly, raccoons are nocturnal animals, and so you may not see them feeding on your fish, and this increases the potential for loss. Click here for more raccoon information.
Image by skeeze
Birds, like the heron, also prey on fish in ponds and can prove more difficult to control because they can swoop in at any time from dawn to dusk. Visit this website to help you keep birds away.
SEVEN TIPS ON KEEPING RACCOONS AND BIRDS AWAY FROM YOUR POND:
- Net Barrier: The best solution for keeping your pond safe from raccoons and birds is to set a net barrier constructed over the pond and the sides as well. Netting is used seasonally, during the spring and fall. By doing so, it can keep the raccoons and birds away, and it also causes a distraction from your pond. The net should at least be 60 cm over the water and the size of the holes should be no bigger than 2.5 cm. By doing so, raccoons and birds cannot get through and will not be able to injure or kill the fish. Therefore, the aim of hunting your fish is defeated.
- Planting Natural Barriers: Fence your pond, though this manages to take away its natural beauty. Alternatively, you can plant bushes and tall trees, and it can provide your pond with a natural glamour and good shade for the fish. Likewise, floating plants are also a good option used to protect your fish from raccoons and birds.
- Tunnels and Caves: The provision of tunnels and caves helps the fish to hide from the raccoons and birds. It also provides adequate space for them to swim and wander about, which makes the pond more comfortable for the fish, providing a perfect habitat for them.
- Noise: This can be of great use for you because it sounds like humans, who raccoons and birds perceive as a threat. By setting a radio, they will avoid your pond because they will think there are people around, and it is also a very reliable means to keep raccoons and birds away. You can also add wind chimes and cans to your pond accessories that make sounds in heavy winds or response to wing flutters. This keeps birds away and is useful all year round.
- Animal Decoys: Animals, especially dogs, help to keep raccoons and birds away. Roaming animals around your pond can help keep the raccoons and birds out of your territory. You may also use products that will fool them from coming to your pond because of the fear of predators. In the use of such decoys, it is vital to change the position of your decoy regularly so that the animals won’t realize your decoys are not alive. Mechanical decoys like talking scarecrows can also help during summer to keep these predators out. Also, you can introduce plastic alligators and koi fish to give the real fish ample time to escape and hide when the predator comes.
- Deterrents: Most predator birds perch at the edge of the pond to feed on fish. Placing stakes or objects that make it impossible to land or perch will discourage them. For raccoons, make sure that the pond is deep. That will prevent them from having access to the fish. You can also use fishing lines above your pond to trip the birds and alert the fish to find safety.
- Food Provisions: Provisions of alternative food and water in bird feeders for predators may sound counter-intuitive, but it gives the desired results and keeps them away from your fish. Place the feeders at sites that are a distance from the fish pond and draws away from the attention of the predators from your fish.
There are other ways to prevent birds and raccoons from preying on your fish, but applying the tips above will give you incredible results. If these tips and tricks still do not manage to keep birds and raccoons out of your pond, contact a professional wildlife removal company like pestcontroloh.com to help you get rid of nuisance pests for good.