Almost any kind of workout gear is kept at home these days, such as treadmills, weightlifting machines, exercise bikes, or various others. This equipment helps us stay in shape and save money and time, but their odd shapes & weight make it extremely difficult to move them.
Although you can manage to move them by yourself to a nearby location, relocating them to a different locality/city is completely different and may end up causing many injuries or harm to you.
Image by Lewis Good
You can easily avoid putting yourself in harm’s way by hiring expert relocation service providers who ensure your equipment has a secure and easy move. Movers and Packers in Ahmedabad (or in your particular city) have all the necessary moving skills and techniques to shift such heavy goods with ease. They pack them with quality material and use suitable moving supplies to guarantee safe loading, unloading, and shifting of your fitness gear.
Clean and Sanitize your Workout Gear before Moving
Exercise equipment should be prepared and cleaned before packing and moving them so that the new home is prevented from harmful bacteria and germs.
How to Sanitize your Fitness Equipment
- Wipe yoga mats and accessories with paper towels and an all-natural spraying solution or an all-purpose cleaner.
- Clean the handrails, sidebars, and other constantly touched surfaces of the elliptical machines, treadmill, weight machines, stationary bike, and other workout gear.
- Clean the gym towels and blankets.
- Wipe the dumbbells and other weights and keep them together.
Key Steps to Ensure while Moving Exercise Equipment
Always start with the items which weigh less. Take a carton box that will comfortably fit the yoga gear like yoga mats, blocks, gym towels, and blankets.
You can also fill any empty spaces in the carton with newspapers, rags, or other padding materials so that the items in the box are unmoved during transit.
Hand weights, Dumbbells, Barbells, and Exercise Balls
If you own many sets of heavyweight plates or light hand weights, make sure you use robust carton boxes that will hold them.
Small carton boxes are better than large ones for keeping heavily weighted items so that the bottom of the carton doesn’t fall out.
Wrap the weights in bubble wrap, towels, or newspapers to protect them from scratches and prevent them from hitting each other and damaging the box or other items during transit.
Note: if you don’t find the right kind of box to pack weights, use plastic bins that can manage the load.
Before moving the treadmill, get the user manual out and check how heavy it weighs, does it have a visible lock/unlock mechanism, and so on.
Rent out a furniture dolly from your nearest hardware store to move safely. Or you can take the help of professional movers who have the necessary tools and skills to move your treadmill without causing any harm to it.
If you plan to do it on your own, take the following steps:
- First, power off the treadmill and unplug and disconnect all the wires.
- Next, depending on the model of your treadmill, check if the belt section will have to be folded up or the standing section of the treadmill will fold downwards.
- Follow the lock device correctly to ensure the treadmill is stable during the move.
- Get the help of your friends to place the treadmill on the furniture dolly.
- Once it is secured completely on the furniture dolly, load it out to the transport vehicle.
- Follow the same procedure to unload the treadmill at the destination
Stationary bikes are one of the most popular home workout equipment and also the easiest ones to move.
- If it is an electric bike, unplug it and secure the cords or else close in a labeled Ziploc bag with your other items.
- Use some moving blankets (or furniture blankets) to prevent scratches or damages.
- Protect your floors with cardboard pieces or furniture sliders while shifting the bike in and out of your house.
- The process of loading or unloading is pretty easy if you take the help of 1 or 2 guys to load it into the truck and place it firmly.
Moving a weightlifting machine is the most challenging in the entire home gym because of its weight and odd shape.
To get your weightlifting machine ready for the move, get the user manual out and follow these steps:
- Remove all weights and place them on the ground; wrap the weight bars in towels to avoid scratches and to prevent the metal bars from breaking any other goods while moving.
- You can also pack the weight bars into carton boxes after securing them using towels; make sure to use small cartons to keep the boxes light.
- Disassemble the weightlifting machine as per the procedure mentioned, and secure all the nuts, bolts, and screws in Ziploc bags and tape them to the corresponding equipment.
- Movable parts of the machine may damage walls, other goods, or may hurt you or your helpers. Secure those moving parts with strong packing tape, zip ties, ropes, or ropes.
- Close the oddly shaped devices in moving blankets or towels to prevent scratches, as they won’t fit into cartons properly.
Elliptical machines are bulky and awkwardly molded making them difficult to move.
The easy method to move them is by disassembling the hardware makes it easy to move them.
- First, unplug and secure the equipment and cords close to the elliptical.
- Next, dismantle the whole exercise equipment to remove the pedals, handlebars, base, and main console using wrenches and screwdrivers. Place all the nuts and bolts in Ziploc bags and attach them to the elliptical or label to store them with other items.
- Once the elliptical is disassembled, it will be light enough for 2 people to move it easily.
Alternatively, if you want to move the elliptical without Disassembling, you can get help from relocation experts to move using the furniture dolly (you’ll need at least 2 or 3 moving guys).
The Final Rep
Moving your home gym equipment could cause injury, but not if you do it correctly and have enough help.
But if you own expensive equipment that may be difficult or risky to move by yourself, you should hire moving companies that follow certain guidelines and guarantee full safety while moving.
All you need to do is – find well-equipped and trusted Packers and Movers in Surat (or in your particular city) by asking your friends/family for reliable recommendations or go through a reputed reference portal and get ready to start moving out to your new place.
Happy Lifting & Moving!